Sunday, February 21, 2010

This Week in Room 204

MR's fancy pyramid was surrounded by ground coffee. I've had dreams in which I've walked across vast deserts of freshy ground coffee. Mmmmm coffeeeeeee...

Hello,
Thank you for the pancake money. Clairlea was able to raise over $700.00 for Free the Children because of this. Last week, our class held a raffle for the candy originally collected for candy-grams. Instead, Ginnie kindly whipped up a big candy basket. I believe we raised close to an additional $200.00 for Free the Children because of this. Fantastic! Megan is eager to count up the money tomorrow, so if time permits, I'll let her post the results. Thank you Megan, Thomas, and Phoebe for running this raffle. LOVE the enthusiasm of our class. Don't forget to scroll down to see pictures from the African Heritage Assembly, if you haven't already seen them.

This week, we'll be working on the following:
Language: Reading/Writing: Our student teacher, Miss Esling will carry on with our big unit on poetry. We will be reading and writing a lot of poems over the next few weeks. I was pleasantly amazed by the quality of work that went into the blues poems. Many children reached deep inside to reflect upon a time they felt blue. Others really captured the cadence and flavour of blues music in their work. I'm still in need of colourful scrap paper, such as wallpaper ends if you have any. We will be turning the completed poems into quilts.
Media Literacy: Students will be given some time in class to begin staging their TV commercial or music video parody. We will meet to discuss reasonable deadlines.
* I am returning the final drafts of the movie reviews this week. I am asking the majority of students to write a final copy. Several students just wrote summaries and neglected to critique the film. Students will have the option of writing their FINAL final draft in Library, or take it home and return it Friday along with their homework.
Math: Proper/improper, and mixed fractions. We will likely have a quiz on Friday. Miss Esling has been teaching this unit with my support. She will review key concepts with the class and perhaps give them a preview quiz mid-week to check for understanding.
Social Studies: Students have started presenting their ancient Egyptian artifact (see photos below). I have really enjoyed the presentations and I'm impressed with the work that has gone into them. Students must complete their explanation this week. If they are not completed by Friday, they will have to stay in after school next week to complete them. Miss Esling will also continue with our unit on Ancient Mexico.
Science: Simple Machines. We will be reviewing the six simple machines with some fun, hands-on Science centre activities. I've raided my son's toy box and my husband's tool box!

Homework: * Please have your child return his/her Nelson Language book this week. We will be using them in class to prepare for Literature Circles which will begin after the March Break.
1. Students will read an article from the Toronto Star about Michelle Obama's plan to tackle child obesity in the U.S. A. Students will answer a series of questions in his/her Home Reading Journal. (due this Friday)
2. For the next two weeks, students will keep a record of the food they eat each day and do their best to find out where it came from. In some cases, this information can be found on labels and stickers. Other times, it may benefit your child to go shopping with you and jot down where produce, etc. comes from by looking at store signage. This is an extension activity from our last Science unit (Energy Conservation). We will look at the concept of carbon footprints. After data has been collected, students will use math skills to calculate how far their food has travelled to get to Toronto. (due next Thursday)
3. There will be a sheet on fractions (due this Friday). If students are having trouble with Math homework (or any other homework), please have them speak to me as soon as possible. I am always here for support and I am happy to stay later on Wednesday to work with individual students.

Have a great week.
Erin Hawkins
Big spear held by happy student. Amazingly enough, nobody was accidentally impaled.

Ancient Egyptian shield cleverly recreated on an artist's canvas.
EC's clay soldier. Loincloth and spear sold separately. Some assembly required. Batteries not included.
Actually, this was all beautifully handmade. Apparently it took many an angst-filled moment to get to this sculpture completed. Great job!

Massive ancient Egyptian villa. There's more inside. I believe this is bigger than Mr. Landry's classroom. Fantastic creations, kids. We're all looking forward to seeing and hearing about more aspects of ancient Egyptian culture.