A cat and a box. Is that any cat? Is that any box?
What can you infer from the top photo? Do you smell something fishy? What might be in the box? Tomorrow, students can write down their ideas. The student who infers correctly will have his/her name entered twice for a contest connected to something special I have planned for this week. Oh, the suspense!
As last week was short and full of interruptions, this week will be a continuation of what we were working on. We will be returning to the poetry of Langston Hughes, which we began in the fall. This time, we will be relating some of his poems to the blues and listening to some blues. In Math, we will begin fractions. We were not able to have the Ancient Egypt quiz last week due to Winter Activity Day. We will have it this Friday. Students must be able to explain the mummification process, and reasons why the Nile was so important to the people of Egypt. There will be some true/false, an multiple choice questions to answer. No need to stress.
Students will also complete their eco home presentations. I'm blown away by what I've seen already. Students actually gasped in excitement during Jonathan and Sibghat's water demonstration. Well done!
Homework:
1. There will be a reading selection from the Nelson reader with a response prompt to be completed in students' Home Reading Journal. I left my copy of the reader in the classroom, so I will post the story selection on the blog tomorrow.
2. Math: Measurement - time worksheet.
3. Reading/Media: Parody planning sheet
Big reminders!
1. Ms. Park has planned a field trip to the theatre for this Thursday afternoon. The permission forms were sent home last week. Please return them ASAP. Students who do not return these by Wednesday will have to work in another classroom Thursday afternoon. I do hope that everyone can come. Sorry about the $12.00 cost. Apparently the theatrical production was cheap it was the school bus that added to the price.
2. If possible, please bring in either a bag of Valentine's Day candy to help us make candygrams for Haiti/Free the Children, or a pair of lightly worn shoes to be donated to the Haiti relief effort. Thank you for your overwhelming generosity. We've raised over $1000.00.
3. Friday afternoon we will have an ice cream/sundae party for Valentine's Day. I will supply everything. There will be no peanut toppings, and I am aware of existing allergies, so it will be smooth sailing.
4. If you haven't already done so, please send in the envelope that came home with marked work recently. Please sign it and keep the work inside. Thanks a lot.
Lastly, I've had some unfortunate reports concerning the behaviour of some students in our class lately when they've been with other teachers. It is a small group of students who are causing disruptions, but the whole class agreed that everyone plays a part in the spread of social talking and silliness at inopportune moments. To this end, I've decided to have each student sign a promise card. This will serve as a reminder that they are to talk at the right time, raise their hand instead of blurting things out, and stay on task during work and instruction periods. If this promise is broken, they will be given one warning. If the promise is broken a second time, they will remain in class until 3:45. During this time, they will write a letter to their parent(s) explaining what happened and outlining how they can turn things around. This letter will be signed and retuned the following day. I will be informing all of their teachers for the sake of consistency. Hopefully I will not have to keep anyone in after school for this reason, but if your child is late and they are not staying in to complete an assignment, they will be in our class.
Thank you for your support in this matter. I love this class - they're all good kids. We just have to nip this problem in the bud once and for all.
Erin Hawkins
Have a great week!