Hello,
I hope everyone is well rested and looking forward to coming to class. Over the holidays, I have been busy planning more interesting hands-on activities in all subject areas and I know the boys and girls in our class will be more than a little interested.
Here's what I hope to get underway this week:
Reading: Clairlea is an OFIP school and over the next few weeks, we will be working on our literacy pathway with our literacy coach. Our focus is inferring and I will model comprehension strategies for the class. Students will have numerous opportunities to work on inferring skills through shared, partnered, and independent readings. I also have a very fun classroom activity planned, which I hope to get to next week.
Writing: Our movie reviews were put on the back burner in December, due to numerous interruptions such as concerts, assemblies, etc. We will resume this week and will refocus our attention on persuasive writing.
Math: We will continue working on Geometry. Please keep helping your child at home with one-on-one protractor support. Draw some angles and ask him/her to measure them and tell you whether it is a right angle, or and obtuse or acute angle. I will give them a short quiz Friday morning and then we will move on to cardinal directions in Geometry.
Science: Several students turned in wonderful Eco home plans, while a few students either did not complete this assignment or forgot to hand it in with his/her homework. I am asking that all outstanding Eco home plans be handed in by Tuesday, Jan. 5th. Students will be given time in class to write an explanation of the "green" features of their structure. We are also revisiting the Scientific Method as students do some field research on the school grounds to look at pollution on snow. Dress warmly this week.
Social Studies: We will be looking at farming, boats, and gods and goddesses in ancient Egypt. Friday afternoon, we will be mummifying an orange and potato. I am asking that each child please bring in the following: one large orange, one box of baking soda, and one box of salt. This will offset my costs in our large class. I will bring in the potatoes and the other materials needed. Thank you very much.
Homework: Due this Friday
1. Read Awards Day (Nelson reader pg. 46-55). In your Home Reading Journal, make a cause and effect chart following the example on pg. 55.
2. Math Geometry sheet
3. * If needed: Submit your Eco Home plan for this Tuesday.
* Please remember to bring in a one-litre milk carton for Math (see earlier post), and also one large orange, a box of baking soda, and a box of table salt.
** I have decided to make the Math Basics homework bell work for the morning throughout the week to reduce the amount of homework. Students will be given problems to complete in class by Friday.
Thank you
Have a great week!
E. Hawkins
Here's the awesome Aztec Camera.
Room 204 - Where the Eighties Somehow Survived