Tuesday, June 8, 2010

This Week in Room 204

Way to go Dimitri, Ethan, and Quentin for your athletic prowess displayed yesterday. Dimitri came in third in shot put. Woo-hoo!

Sorry for the delay. I was having computer issues at home, which I believe hubby has resolved. I'm typing this at school.

Language: This week, students are working on the second draft of their editorials. I read all editorials over the weekend and writing journals were returned with descriptive feedback, along with a check list of strengths and areas of need. Overall I was pleased with the quality of writing and the fact that many students are beginning to develop a unique "writer's voice." I hope that by the end of the week students will be close to writing their final drafts. Perhaps we can share some of these on the blog.

Math: Last Friday, students were given a combined Geometry/Measurement test. These tests were sent home yesterday. Students who failed or came close to failing were asked to have their test signed by a parent. Please make sure you ask to see the test. Most of the students did very well on the Geometry portion, but many children had difficulty differentiating between area, volume, and perimeter. I have reviewed all three extensively over the last two days and I sent home extra work sheets which are due tomorrow. Please ensure your child returns them tomorrow. It would also help most children to go over area and volume with a parent. I will mark a question as incorrect if they do not indicate the correct measurement (e.g. meters cubed for volume or meters squared for area).

We are continuing on with Ancient China, learning about modes of communication and government in Social Studies. In Science, we are still working on Matter.

Homework:
1. Social Studies Multi-Media project - due Friday.
2. Lit Circle Role - Due Friday (A few groups opted to increase their chapter readings each week. Please gently prod your child to remind them if their chapter count was increased this week).
3. Volume, area, and perimeter sheets due Wednesday.

Don't forget the Clairlea Fun Fair is this Saturday. It's still not too late to buy your All-Day Pass. There will be all kinds of great activities for kids to enjoy, so spread the word and bring friends, neighbours, etc. I may be looking for a Fun Fair babysitter for Duncan when I'm working the slide, which I want to call Montezuma's Revenge - but I think it's called the Big Kahuna. Ahhh. Memories of Pulp Fiction.

P.S. Some of our students are moving in on the Mole. Expect things to heat up soon. Tomorrow - a math group challenge. They know their area and perimeter. Or do they?

Do exercise extreme caution if your family is planning to be involved in alpine game show activities this summer. Statistically one out of every five men don't survive. The results can be devastating. See the cautionary Youtube clip if you don't believe me.