Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Huge News and Updates

Hello there. Well, we've almost made it (please don't start singing that Shania Twain power ballad). I have a few announcements of interest.

First off, we found out today that Clairlea is now a Gold level EcoSchool. YEAH!!!!! We've worked so hard this year, but I wasn't sure if we'd actually qualify. I'll be blogging about it on the Clairlea Green site, so please stay tuned for more news. Children from four junior classrooms were on the Green Team this year and their hard work will be recognized this week. The majority of students from our class are on the Green Team and several were also in the Gardening Club. Thank you, thank you, thank you! These kids kept the recycling program running at our school and we couldn't have done it without them.

Secondly, a note went home with students today regarding the water situation at Clairlea. Our water has been tested and it is now completely safe to drink. I am still encouraging our class to bring a refillable water bottle from home, to reduce the amount of little plastic bottles filling up our recycling dumpster.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that our class won the Jump Rope for Heart pledge contest. We raised the most money for the Heart & Stroke Foundation in the entire school. Woo-hoo! Thank you for your generous donations. Our prize is a pizza party, which will be on Monday (the second last day of school). I'm ordering cheese pizza for the class. No need to pack a lunch that day. I'll supply drinks and chips.


That's all for now.
Best,
Erin Hawkins

Below, find pictures from our fabulous field trip to the Bata Shoe Museum last Friday. Thanks again to our wonderful parent volunteers. The kids were great and the Museum people were warm and friendly.

You'll also find a pompous song and video from Spandau Ballet to help us celebrate our Gold EcoSchool status. LOL.


One big, happy family.
"Gee, I wonder if this boot is big enough to hold a baby..."
Yep
"I wonder how many of my feet can fit in Shaq's boot..."
"At least two."
J.C. holds a Finnish bark shoe. I think an insole may be required.
Ahhhh. Strangely snuggly.
Sandal from Zimbabwe made from old tires.
I haven't seen this level of excitement since the last Justin Bieber video was released.
"Quick, pass the chew toy before he starts nibbling on the priceless wooden clog from Korea!"
"Mmmmm. You can smell the craftsmanship."
Are these available in a size 9 - ladies?
In a moment of confusion N.E. began petting the boot, before realizing it wasn't one of his cats.
M.R. shows us a fur boot from the Athapaskan people.
King Tut! Are you stalking Room 204?
Greco Roman, with a little Canada thrown in.

We have it so good with our footwear these days.

"Which crusty leather shoe do you like the best?"
E.C. wonders how many people were accidentally impaled on this shoe.
After the museum, the kids frolicked in a pretty field down at U of T.
Naturally, dancing ensued.

Rockin' the Crocs.