Sunday, November 8, 2009

This Week in Room 204

Hello,
Don't forget that this Friday is a PA Day and that Scholastic orders are due this Thursday. Thanks to Phoebe for the fantastic captions added to the pictures of our digestive system activity on the Student Blog. Our next blogmasters will be Nicolas and Nathan. I can't wait to see what they do to the blog.
Here's what we're working on:
Language: Reading/Writing/Oral/Media - I will be teaching a series of mini lessons on how to recognize viewpoint and bias. Students will be analysing text construction to help understand that the author's viewpoint and perspective can determine why and how the content is presented and why some content is omitted. This lesson is at the heart of critical literacy (the process of looking beyond the literal meaning of texts to analyse author's intent), and also conveniently connects to Data Management in Math (bias in surveys).
Math: Data Management - We will look at the purpose of circle graphs and continue working on broken line graphs. In terms of Math assessment, the Clairlea Staff have been learning that we must look at what is most current and consistent. Therefore, I will be reviewing what we have covered in Math so far this week and giving students a series of related problems to solve, which will be assessed using the Math Achievement Chart. As mentioned last week, our class created its own version of the Math Achievement Chart, which proved to be very practical when we worked together at the blackboard solving problems. I saw a huge improvement in the explanation of answers. I will try to send a copy of both achievement charts home this week.
Science: We will complete the Respiratory System. I'm still waiting on a confirmation from Grace's father to find out when his workshop will run. We're looking forward to that.
Social Studies: Federal Government cont. We are working to run a student election in our class, but there is a fair bit of pre-election information needed. This week, students will present their Canadian Coat of Arms to the class (Thursday afternoon). I will hand out the rubric. This will count for Social Studies and also Language (oral).
Health: Students will have time to work on their Public Service Announcements for Alcohol Abuse. I hope that we can film/record for podcasting next week.

Homework:
There will be another Data Management sheet coming home this week, due this Thursday. Please check last week's homework section if you need a reminder of due dates for research projects. Please make sure your child has a book for their Science research. I had a few children say that they couldn't make it to a library. I have given an extended deadline so that EVERYONE would have time to get a book. They also had the opportunity to borrow a book from the Clairlea library. Make sure your child has a Toronto Public Library card and aim to visit the library on a regular basis to extend classroom learning and to foster a love of reading.
I'm sending home the recent Social Studies and Science tests as well as a Spelling quiz including the words we have worked on so far. There are three different spelling groups in our class, based on learning needs. Some students in Group B will have the option of moving into Group C if they feel they need more challenge and their overall spelling is excellent.
Thank you.
Have a great week

Go to fullsize image

Core English Corner - This Week in Room 210
Students will be completing their personal narratives and we will complete a series of mini lessons on deeper reading comprehension. * Please make sure your child completes his/her homework and hands it in on time. I hand out a small amount of homework on Monday and it comes in on Friday. This week it will come in on Thursday. Several students did not hand in their homework last week and most of those students have missed homework before.
Thank you,
E. Hawkins