Sunday, April 3, 2011

This Week in Room 108

Last Friday, I ran into a lion on my way into Clairlea. She looked very familiar. I was in a happy mood for the rest of the day. How could you not be? CL not only had a roaring great hat, but she brought in a painting she had made at home. I really appreciate the work that children do at home and share with the class. We've seen artwork by Ellie, Bradley, Maria, Madison, Emma, Mia, Lyndsay, and Cassie. Awesome! We've also had signs brought in for our Japanese fund-raising and a very entertaining story written by Ellie that she shared with the class. Encourage your child to create and share. You'd be amazed at the positive influence this has on the class as a whole. Room 108 is filled with creative kids who also inspire and support each other. It all starts at home.

This week, we're working on the following:

Language: Writing - Students will continue working on their rough drafts of their Andy Warhol biographies for Recount Writing. Last week, they took information on Warhol's life from a children's animated film and sequenced information on a graphic organizer. We talked about the importance of listing information chronologically and set out a list of criteria for a well-written recount. This week, students will continue working on their rough drafts. They will learn about the importance of including relevant details, breaking their writing into logical paragraphs, and editing and proofreading. I'm really encouraging students to see themselves as writers and my goal is to have all our students complete this year able to write clear sentences and paragraphs.

Reading - Our student teacher, Miss Torres begins her month-long placement with our class this week and she will be teaching students about point of view in reading this week.

Math: We will wrap up area, perimeter, capacity, and mass with more hands-on problems to solve (check out the photos below) and I've decided that students will write a cumulative test at the end of the week. This isn't something that students need to study for at home. They should be able to know the difference between area and perimeter. A few students mixed these up, but we'll review.

Science will be resuming soon (possibly this week). Grade 2s will be learning about solids, liquids, and gases. I have to check with Miss Lowen to find out the strand the Grade 3s will be working on.

Social Studies: Grade 2s will continue working on Features of Communities by comparing school life in India, vs. Toronto. Grade 3s will look at tools and houses in early Upper Canada.


Homework:


Grade 2s and 3s

1. Students will be given a new list of words to learn for their Home Word Book. I've noticed that many students aren't ready for the Friday spelling quiz. I've been postponing it until Monday recently as a result. We're going to get back into active word study groups this week to learn about words and practise spelling in class. Due Friday.

2. Students will think of a person they know well (either a famous person or a friend or family member) and fill out the planning sheet coming home. Students are to write the name of the person in the centre and add as many details as possible in the sections surrounding it.

*Grade 2s will not have to complete a reading response this week, nor will they have to write journal responses. By the way, if the length of the journal response is too much for your child, they can double space their lines, or write a half-page. I'm encouraging students to write more, but it also shouldn't be taking more than 20 minutes a night. Keep me posted and I'm happy to accommodate children's needs.


Grade 3s only:

EQAO workbook - pg 78-79. Recount writing. Due Monday, April 11.


That's all. Have a great week.

Erin Hawkins