Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Over and Out

It's been a pleasure getting to know the boys and girls of our class. Some students, I've taught for two years now and it will be hard to see them in the hallway entering a different classroom. Change is all part of life's rich pageantry. We've become one big, happy and occasionally dysfunctional family - but we've stuck together through it all. The door is always open, by the way.

Listening to the students talk about their cultural backgrounds has not only been informative, but also a humbling experience. We've heard about the struggles and sacrifices made by grandparents and parents who moved to Canada to have a better life for their grandchildren and children - the children of our class. Each and every child in our class is special and I see greatness in the boys and girls. I know that their "I can" messages from earlier in the year will come true, with the support I've seen from the dedicated parents. And to the boys and girls, please remember to believe in yourself. Never doubt your abilities.
Thanks for the wonderful food today. Sharing our cultures means sharing ourselves and it was a meaningful note to end the year on. Have a happy and safe summer.
Cheerio,
Erin Hawkins