Sunday, June 14, 2009

This Week in Room 204

I can't believe it's the second last week of school. Where did all the time go?
This week we will be:
-wrapping up Rocks and Minerals (experiments and rocky art activities)
-wrapping up Medieval Times and Ancient Civilizations 
- working on multiplication, long division, and problem solving
- working on Culture Share activities (more info below)
-completing the three books I've been reading to the class
- sundry art activities...

* I Can't Believe It's Not Homework, Homework
Ok, this is fun homework. Each student will research part of his/her cultural background, or a culture that interests him or her. I would like this to be as paper-free as possible - no Bristol boards please! I will hand out the guidelines tomorrow. This sheet should be filled out as soon as possible and brought to class each day, as students will be given in-class time to work on their short presentations. The emphasis is on learning about different cultures and having fun doing so. I'm hoping eight students a day will present their culture, starting next Monday and ending the last day of school. I have a great pull-down map and a globe. The only things students may wish to bring in would be things like, photographs, artifacts, peanut-free food, and great stories from family members. This will be a nice way for us to bond once again before we say goodbye. 
Have a great week!

I, along with a few students in our class are fans of So You Think You Can Dance. Below, find a clip of this amazing Crash Test Dummies dance choreographed by Wade Robson. I love the music and the concept. Hmm... the ideas for the next Holiday Concert are already percolating.