Monday, May 18, 2009

This Week in Room 204

Here are some snaps of Noriko's excellent performance at Eglinton Square Library last week. Thanks again to parent volunteers who helped three large classes make it to the library and back. This Week in Room 204 follows below the pictures.
Noriko brings the miming experience to the Clairlea audience. 

Gerry displays signs in Japanese.

In the spirit world

"Rice ball, rice ball... How many of these things do I have to make?"


This will be another short week. Here's what we will be working on:

Language - Reading: May is Asian Heritage Month and we will be reading and responding to various folk tales from Asian countries. This week we will revisit The Funny Little Woman - the Japanese tale performed by Noriko the Clown last week. 

Writing/Media: Modernized Fairy Tales. I have decided to extend the due date to Friday, May 29th. The problem is that some students have completed their fairy tales, whilst others are very close to completing them. Others still need much more time. Students will be given in-class time this Thursday and Friday. Those who have not completed their work by this Friday will be required to stay in during afternoon recess next week or complete the assignment at home. 

Math: We will continue working on fractions and decimals. 

Science: I will be setting up Light Centres on Thursday and our class will take turns at different stations in order to better understand light and shadow, refraction (the bending of light), light and the colour spectrum, and materials that light can travel through. Friday afternoon we will discuss the eye and work on our eye models.

Social Studies: Grade 4s will be learning about the life of a Serf (Medieval Times) and will complete their models of village homes. I hope that we can create a model of a Medieval village by connecting these homes. We will discuss the features of a Medieval village and students will propose layout possibilities. If you are near a dollar store, you may wish to purchase some small farm animals for this display.
Grade 5s. Thanks to a generous donation from Leah in Mr. Mitkovski's class, we now have enough dolls for each Grade 5 student to mummify. Friday will be the day (unless there is an unexplained interruption). I am in the planning stage of a simulated archaeological dig for both 4s and 5s. 
Next week we will get our teeth into Explanatory Writing and Social Studies projects and rubrics will be distributed (both grades). 

Homework: I will not be at Clairlea tomorrow. I have left instructions for students to choose one of their narratives (either their horror story, or the story about the man entering the abandoned city) and submit their good copy this Friday. I will meet with students on Wednesday to discuss his/her work and find out how the stories are coming along.