Hello,
I hope everyone had the opportunity to read the Swine Flu handout from last week. We read it together in class and students were instructed to make sure to pass them along to parents/caregivers. Soap and water is well-stocked in our classroom and I am reminding the children to wash their hands when they come in from morning and afternoon recess and also before lunch.
*Grade 5s please make sure those cheap, imitation Barbie dolls come in. I bought the mummy cloth over the weekend (not what they call it at Fabricland), and it would be nice to start making mummies next week.
This week...
Language: Reading - CASI review and rewrite. I've marked the CASI papers and I still think the answers could be a little richer. Students will have the opportunity to compare their answers to the exemplars and then they will be given a different reading passage to respond to. I can hear the groans already, but a lot of good can come out of an additional review of summary writing, etc.
Writing/Media: We will continue writing our horror stories and working on our multi-media fairy tales.
Math: Fractions, fractions, fractions. We will be working on equivalent, improper, and mixed fractions.
Science: Light - We will continue looking at refraction through the rainbow experiment (sunlight permitting), and we will also continue constructing our paper maché models of the human eye. Our classroom should look like a horror show in a week's time.
Social Studies: A continuation of where we left off last week.
Art/link to Science: Tubular reliefs using opaque, transparent, and translucent materials.
Speaking of Art. Do you remember our texture rubbings from last week?
Ah, yes. It's coming back to me.
Since my last post, the students have been busy painting,
painting,
painting.
They've planned...
and pondered.
Cut.
Pasted.
And out of the concrete jungle that is our playground and all that old paper that nobody wanted... came beautiful skylines of cities real...
and imagined.
Places we've never seen...
And buildings that reach for the heavens.
Our cities.