Kick up your heels. School is back!
Hello there,I hope everyone had the best week ever last week. The weather was so wonderful, it was hard not to step out onto the porch and start singing show tune songs. I cycled the Don, biked out to Guildwood Village, worked on a story I'm writing, took numerous photographs, checked out some museums and galleries, visited High Park Zoo, saw my folks, cleaned the bathroom, and had lot's of fun with my son and husband. Life is swell and I'm grateful for it. With batteries recharged, I'm looking forward to working with your wonderful children once again.
Here are some things we'll be working on this week:
Reading & Writing: Report Writing - We made some small steps previewing report writing before the holiday, mainly talking about facts vs. opinion. This week, students will continue planning their animal report, which will be written in class. In guided reading, we will be reading reports and other non-fiction texts. We do a lot of writing in class these days in our Writing Journals. Most students are blown away by the progress they have made when they compare their present writing to what they were doing at the beginning of the school year. Way to go!
Math: As mentioned in the homework letter, we will work on money, adding, and subtracting for another two weeks. I will be using a number of assessment strategies to determine understanding of money.
Science: We will continue exploring materials. Grade 1s will begin building a strong house or bridge and grade 2s will begin learning about simple machines. Depending on how smoothly things go, I may do both with each grade.
I think that's it for now. Have a happy week.
Erin Hawkins