Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lunches & Snacks

Hello there,

It's great to see so many students bringing in healthy lunches and snacks. We have spent a great deal of time learning about the different food groups and why it's important to eat a balanced meal.

One day this week, students ate lunch in our classroom due to a rainy lunch hour. I noticed that some children were eating treats and not the more nutritious part of their lunch. Normally, I don't see what or how children eat. Talk to your child each day and ask them what they ate and when. Look to see what they're bringing home and if you notice that the wholesome food you sent is coming back home, perhaps consider not sending in cookies, pudding, etc. We are a gold-level eco school and we are strongly encouraging students to use reusable containers for their lunches and snacks. We are also trying to get students to take their litter home.

Often at the end of the day, I'll find little baggies of mini carrots, or whole apples at the bottom of our class lunch bin. Apples can be salvaged, but other foods can begin to perish within a few hours, especially as the weather gets warmer.

A friend of mine ordered a Planet Box for her daughter. They are very expensive, but quite ingenious. I thought I'd share the link just so families could check it out in case you're looking for a different lunch bag solution.

Have a great weekend.
Click on the title of this post to access the video, if it is not loading properly.