Monday, May 3, 2010

This Very Interrupted Week in Room 204

Do you know the name of this flower growing in our backyard? It has special significance in our province.

This week students will be out on Wednesday for Track and Field Day, the boys in the Boys' Reading Club will be on their field trip on Thursday, and Friday is Diversity Day. That pretty much leaves Tuesday.
We have started 3-D geometry in Math and we have started learning about matter in Science. In Language we are working on clarity in writing. We all agreed that writing, "He was a guy who did bad stuff," is not an adequate way to describe Hitler. We are working on eliminating throw-away words and vague responses to questions. We will return to editorial writing next week.

Homework:
Math: 3-D shape sheet: sorting 3-D solids by attributes.
Language: Students will respond to Christopher Hume's editorial by writing a solid question and a detailed response using proper nouns, etc. All instructions are on the sheet. Please support your child in his/her homework by checking over their work and providing one-on-one support. Many Home Reading Journals are coming in with spelling mistakes that could have been avoided if the student had taken the time to review his/her work. In the last week I've seen Toronto and Canada spelled with lower case letters.

I am hoping to have novels distributed on Friday for literature circles, despite the activities going on throughout the school.

* Please remind your child about not blurting out during instruction. During this afternoon's Science lesson, I almost had to stop due to students calling out and not raising his/her hand. Thank you for your support. I'm glad students are so engaged in their learning, but we have to have some order or it all falls apart. I want to keep Science as hands-on as possible.