Tomorrow, we'll have a short quiz on Forces. In our Monday homework rush, I forgot to remind the students of the definitions for energy and force, posted on an anchor chart in the class. Today, they copied the definitions down and agreed they were pretty straight forward. We did another quick review of examples of forces as well. Here are the other definitions:
Energy: the ability to do work
Force: any push or pull
Sorry for any inconvenience. The other parts of the quiz students are responsible for are mentioned in the homework section of This Week in Room 204. Ta!
TDSB Director of Education Dr. Chris Spence visited Clairlea today. Due to his busy schedule, he was unable to come into all of the classrooms, but we all had a chance to say "hi" as we were on our way out to recess. He was very interested in our blogging and I told him I'd send links to the students' blogs. I will check in with the bloggers again tomorrow and remind them that they might want to post a little message to Dr. Spence, or perhaps ask a question. He seems like a man of vision and we're fortunate to have someone with energy and ideas.
Please remind your child about the importance of following instructions and staying on task. Generally, the students are all focussed in the morning, but following French in the afternoon, some students have had difficulty walking quietly in the hallway back to class. Several students also have difficulty lining up outside after recess. We are the second biggest class in the school and even under the best of circumstances, it can be unwieldy marching that many kids up and down the hallway. We need to be mindful of other classrooms and the office staff who are working. I still have great deal of teaching to do and I don't want to waste time having the same conversation over and over about appropriate behaviour. Thanks to all of the students who work hard to limit social talking and follow basic classroom conduct. We can all be doing this and we can all be successful.
Tomorrow is Panoramic Photo Day. Please have your child wear Clairlea Spiritwear, or purple, white, or grey t-shirts. It sounds like another fun interruption.
All the best,
Erin Hawkins
Here's the song the kids were dancing to in the above pictures from Diversity Day. Thanks to Mrs. Brathwaite for the choreography. I think I can't dance, but I know she can.