Sunday, October 4, 2009

This Week in Room 204

Looking over the Scarborough Bluffs at our Great Lake: September, 2009

The Pleasure of Writing - the Pleasure of Reading
As you know, we have been working on personal narrative essays. I brought the students' writing journals home this weekend not knowing what to expect. Well, let me tell you that Room 204 is a class of writers. I was so moved reading one student's journal, I was almost in tears. Other narratives made me laugh, while others left me wanting more. "Complete your story! I want to know how it ends!" It is my goal to encourage all students in our class to see themselves as writers and poets. Spelling and grammar is important, but it's more important to get the ideas out first and let the creativity flow. I can sense the joy of writing in many journals and it was a pleasure reading these wonderful stories. At home, ask you child to come up with original adjectives to describe everyday objects.

Here's what we're working on this week:
Reading: Establishing a schedule for in-class Reading Journals and proofreading journal responses.
Writing: Using quotations in our personal narrative essays and editing our rough drafts. We will also be moving on with a new set of spelling words. In grammar, students will compose a poem using a mix of concrete and abstract nouns.
Oral: Students will respond to poetry that is read aloud.
Media (link to Social Studies): Logos - We will look at the various types of logos. Students will examine logos for the City of Toronto, and various political parties from different levels of government.
Math: Rounding review (whole and decimal numbers). We will also review adding and subtracting decimal numbers. There will be a quiz on rounding, adding, and subtracting this Friday. I will review what will be on the quiz in class.
Social Studies: We will be looking at the types of Municipalities and discuss upper-tier and lower-tier municipalities. We will also continue with mapping. Our class LOVES maps.
Science: I believe Mr. Ju will be coming in to run a workshop with us about a human organ system. He came in last year and gave an amazing lesson on the brain. I'll keep you posted. We will also wrap up our look at bones and joints. Students will construct a model of a bone.

Homework:
1. There will be a math sheet to review rounding whole numbers and decimals.
2. Students will visit the Kids Health website and answer questions about bones. They will also draw and label a diagram of a bone. Please go to http://kidshealth.org/kid/htbw/bones.html and follow the instructions on your Science homework sheet. * Students who do not have a computer or internet access are welcome to use the computer lab during library to complete the work.
3. Students will also write another short reflection piece about their reading in their Home Reading Journal.
4. Math basics duotangs - multi-digit multiplication.

Don't forget, homework is due each Friday. Last week was better, but there are still some students whose homework is missing in action. Students - don't let yourself get left behind. You'll be in high school before you know it and no one will chase you down for your work.

Please continue to remind your child about the importance of staying on task and refraining from social talking in class. Last week, the social talking was out of control at times. This should not happen the minute I turn my back to write on the blackboard, or work with individual students. We should be settling down by now. Students who are talking at inappropriate times are not getting work done. They will fall behind quickly if the chit-chat continues.

Grace and Ryan were our lucky winners last week. They both successfully answered the question: What is bone marrow? Their names were pulled out of a tin by George in Miss Lowen's class. Grace must have been born under a lucky sign. I better get her to choose some lucky numbers for me. Early retirement, here I come!

We're also working on our four times tables. For your viewing pleasure...