Thursday, October 8, 2009

In-class Work Completion

I don't believe in giving the whole class a detention, but today I had to keep the majority of students in class after 3:30 because they were not using work time efficiently. The cause of this inefficiency? Excessive talking and fooling around while I was trying to help individual students in need. Several students remained on task and they were dismissed at 3:30. Technically, the school day is over at 4:00 p.m. and I am entitled to keep students in until that time. From now on, I will be keeping students in who are not using time wisely in class. If your child does not come out at the 3:30 bell, you'll know where they'll be. If they have to be somewhere at 3:30, it is up to them to make sure they use in-class time wisely.
I care about each child in our class and it is my job to ensure they are understanding what we are studying and completing work. Please continue to support me by reminding your child how crucial it is to stay on-task and take pride in their work. As I keep telling them, you can either set yourself up for success in life, or set yourself up for failure. It starts now.
Thank you,
E. Hawkins