Sunday, September 22, 2013

This Week in Room 108



Hello there,

Thanks to everyone (almost the entire class) for coming out on Curriculum Night. I was overwhelmed by the turnout. It was the best Curriculum Night I've experienced since I've been teaching thanks to the big boost of family support and of course the terrific b-b-q beforehand. I hope you had a chance to talk to your child about our trip to Forrest Valley last week. We learned a lot about nature in this beautiful outdoor setting. I will try to get my photos of the trip up on the blog soon.

Tomorrow I will be sending home spelling and math homework. The spelling words will become more challenging in the forthcoming weeks/months, so if they seem a little easy - consider it a warm up. If the words become too difficult, please let me know and we can choose a less difficult spelling group. 

The spelling quiz will be on Friday. The quiz will come home the following Monday in your child's homework bag. Please initial it and return it in your child's homework bag the following week. I'll return old tests which you can frame or recycle accordingly. 

Here's what we're working on this week:

Reading: We will begin looking at ways we can connect texts being read in class to other texts. We will continue talking about how using our schema (prior knowledge) can help us make meaning of what we are reading. We will also continue journaling about Roald Dahl's autobiography Boy. 

Writing: We will hopefully all complete our first drafts of our autobiographies. There are some wonderful stories emerging. On the mechanical side of writing, we will review vowels and begin working on consonant blends. 

Media Literacy: We will begin looking at print advertisements and students will subvert a cat litter ad into a poster for respecting the washrooms at Clairlea. I can't wait to see what they come up with. 

Math: We will continue working on transformational geometry and patterning and begin problem solving. 

Science: Grade 3s will be looking at the parts of plants. Grade 2s will begin the water cycle. Please keep those 2 L clear pop bottles coming in!

Social Studies: Mapping - Where do we live in Ontario? Where is Ontario in relation to the rest of Canada? 

Have a wonderful week!
Erin Hawkins