Hello there,
Thanks to everyone who made it out to Curriculum Night. Great things are on the horizon at Clairlea this year, mark my word.
At the bottom of This Week in Room 108 will be a summary of our homework for the week as well as any quizzes we may be having. Please note that due to the possibility of class reorganization this week, I'll be handing out our weekly homework on Monday (including a book in a book borrowing bag), but I will not be sending out homework bags until the class list is definite. Please make sure all homework comes in on Friday. Our excellent administrative team will keep families and staff posted about any changes.
Here's what we're working on this week:
Reading:
1. Guided Reading groups will begin this week. During Guided Reading, students are put into small groups with students reading at a similar level. I will rotate to meet with different groups to target different reading strategies e.g. how making predictions can help us as readers. While I meet with groups, the rest of the class will read silently in their groups.
2. Shared/Interactive readings using big books and poetry on chart paper. We will also revisit a big book together for patterning in math.
3. Read alouds: One Yak Called Jack (to support our investigation of the short A vowel), we will revisit Knufflebunny for retelling, and I will read Leo Lionni's Pezzettino, which will be used to support another patterning activity in math.
Writing:
1. Working with words: Students will learn about word families linked to short A and short E.
2. Student made books: This week, students will begin writing simple sentences as captions for their booklets created last week that illustrate the beginning, middle, and ending of Knufflebunny.
3. Printing skills: This week, we will cover the letters E and F.
Media Literacy: Current Events ~ What is news? We will begin looking at "the news" and why it's important to know what is happening in our community and around the world.
Math: Patterns in numbers/patterns in art. We will also be reviewing pattern cores. A few students are still having difficulty grasping this concept. Please see our math homework this week to help review at home.
Science: The human body vs. plants. How are they similar? How are they different? Students will complete their human bodies and I'm hoping that we can start life cycles and plant propagation by the end of the week.
Social Studies: We didn't have time last week to role play safety rules. We'll carry on this week and also discuss community helpers.
Homework:
1. Reading: 10 minutes at home (or more).
I have sat down and read with almost every student now to do a quick running record and gauge reading levels. I will be sending home a book and a reading log. Students may read the same book all week, but they are encouraged to bring their book back every day or every other day to get a new book at his or her level. Please have your child read the book to a family member who is older and able to help if needed.
2. Printing practice: Letters A and B. * Please encourage your child to work neatly, even if it means not filling entire lines. I know little hands can get tired.
3. A quick sheet to review pattern cores. There is an example at the top that is done for you.
On Friday, I am going to do a short quiz on extending patterns and identifying the pattern core. No need to stress over it, I'm just checking in.
Have a lovely week,
Erin Hawkins
Here's some vintage Sesame counting gold. Can you see any patterns? Can you hear any patterns?