When Good Clowns Turn Evil - New on Fox. Check your local listings.
Hello,
I was not at school today as I had to return to the doctor's to follow up on the Never Ending Story that is my cold. After waiting over an hour, while being subjected to E-Z Rock, she told me the antibiotics are working and I'm good to go. If I hear one more Celine Dion song...
Anyway, the children were left with the wonderful Ms. Varney and I'm sure it was smooth sailing. I ambitiously left the homework and book bags to go home today. I hope it all made sense. I'll check in with the class tomorrow.
Here's what we're working on this week:
Language: Students will finish drafting their written retellings of Miss Rumphius. Tomorrow, students will be put into Guided Reading groups. I plan to read with one or two groups and have Mr. Baron work with another group. We will be working on comprehension strategies. We will continue to work on plurals in Writer's Workshop.
Math: Friday was Miss Conti's last day. She did a fabulous job teaching place value. I met with her after school to go over the formative quizzes from last week. Overall, students are really showing that they understand place value. I will meet with students this week to go over the test and provide detailed feedback so they know what they're doing well at and what still needs some work. I will target my teaching this week on the areas of need.
Social Studies: After looking at the cultures and traditions of Mexico, I hope to look at Diwali, as this Hindu celebration is this week. We will also be working on mapping.
Science: Grade 3s are still working with Miss Lowen on soil and plants. I will be working with the Grade 2s on proper waste disposal and I hope that we can begin constructing our village out of boxes. This village will illustrate how chemicals and toxins end up in Lake Ontario.
Healthy Living: Grade 2s will be looking at food groups and Grade 3s will be looking at packaging and nutritional information.
Homework: 1. There is a math sheet going home - one for each grade.
2. Students will either read their new Book in a Bag, or continue reading their chapter book for last week. They are to fill out their reading sheet that is pasted in their Reading Response notebook. If your child didn't bring in their Reading Response notebook, they should have brought home the piece of paper that had their questions.
3. Lastly, students are to work on their spelling Words to Know for their buddy quiz this Friday.
That's all,
Have a great week,
E. Hawkins