Happy Birthday to RC. Throw another log on the fire!
Here's what we're working on this week:
Language,
Reading/Writing: Students will complete their rough draft of their Miss Rumphius retell. We have started working on editing and this week I'll be working with the students on proofreading and dictionary skills. While the spell check is replacing the good old dictionary, I still feel that it's important for students to know how to use a dictionary. Plus, looking closely at words (especially misspelled words) can only help with spelling.
Which witch is which? In spelling, we're starting a unit on homonyms - sometimes known as homophones. We weren't able to get our "words to know lists" happening in time for Friday Folders today, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Math: Today, we kicked off our Geometry unit with a diagnostic test on symmetry. I learned that most students either don't know much about symmetry, or they've forgotten what they knew. This week, students will be busy with numerous hands-on activities to solidify their understanding of symmetry, including the introduction of the SmartBoard in our class. This Friday, Mr. Steers and myself will be running a demonstration math class with the students of Room 108 for guest teachers to attend. Very exciting. I'm just thrilled that I've finally had training on the SmartBoard and I look forward to having the students use it more in the future.
* We will still be working on Place Value (adding and subtracting).
Science: Grade 3s continue working with Miss Lowen on Plants while the Grade 2s will begin constructing their model of a community to show how pollution can contaminate the Don River and Lake Ontario.
Social Studies: We will continue mapping and the class will compare modes of transportation in urban and rural settings around the world. As an extension to our look at Diwali last week, I will hopefully be showing the students a documentary for children about what school is like in India. Thanks to Rishikkesh's mother for the tasty, spicy Diwali treats!
We will be spending a portion of time working on our performance for the Remembrance Day assembly on Thursday, so we may not get to all that I have planned, but I live in hope.
Homework:
1. Students will answer the questions in their Reading Response journal based on the book they chose for their Book in a Bag.
2. There is a double-sided symmetry sheet that is educational and artistic all at once. Students can get creative with this work.
* Please go through the papers in your child's Friday Folder including Scholastic, which is due on Nov. 18th and also your preference for an interview time.
Cheers!
That's all. Have a pleasant week.
E. Hawkins