Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hope Your March Break Was Purrrrrfect

Spook (Town Cat) and Kiko (Country Cat) captured in a rare warm and fuzzy moment.

Hello again,
I hope everyone is rested and feeling fine. Here's what we're working on this week:
Language (Reading) - Students will begin reading The Breadwinner (chapters 1-3). I will be reviewing the roles for our literature circles, which will begin April 2nd. This week, we'll be discussing the history of Afghanistan, especially as it relates to the Taliban. We will also be looking at maps of Afghanistan and discussing its landscape features. 
Language (Writing) - We will continue working on our horror narratives. I hope to squeeze in some gothic poetry along the way.
Math - 3-D solids and volume and capacity.
Science (Sound) - We'll be looking at how sounds are produced in musical instruments and we will begin planning our soundscapes. 
Social Studies - Grade 4 Medieval Times: The Feudal System and family life, Grade 5 Ancient Egypt: Agriculture and the importance of The Nile.
Art: Relief with semicylindrical shapes.